Friday, February 1, 2013

My Dad - At Yale University during the Summer of 1943 with the Army Air Force


 
My father, Glen S. Remington, went to Yale – I knew that my whole life.  However, he did not go there as a student.  According to family letters, he was at Yale in 1943 as part of his Army Air Force training.  My mother has a picture of him when he was there – along with twenty four other men.  Recently I took it out of the frame to scan it.  On the back my dad had written the names of the other men.  He then had them sign it and added their home towns.  I became curious about the photo and why the men were training at Yale.


The Army Air Force was formed in 1907 and was part of the Army until 1947.  Also called the Army Air Corps, it played a large role in World War II.  The program is described in the book, With Courage, the U.S. Army Air Forces in World War II. “Because the existing Army preflight schools could not absorb all the men seeking to enter the aviation cadet program. General Arnold made arrangements with colleges and universities, largely devoid of male students because of the war, to teach portions of the curriculum. Faculty members taught the academic aspects of preflight training like mathematics and meteorology, and officers assigned to each detachment handled the purely military instruction, including map reading and radio communication.” 

My dad’s story was that he took an intelligence test, and because of his high score, he was sent to the program at Yale instead of into the infantry with the rest of his unit.  He had enlisted in the army Air Corps on 9 Nov 1942 in Los Angeles and had a background in building aircraft.  I made the video below for my dad's grandchildren...


The names from the back of the picture below.

Front Row, Left to Right

C. Walker, Harriman, Tennessee
August F. VanDerWall, Grand Rapids, Michigan
James R. Wilson, Spurgeon, Indiana
Dr. John C. Schroeder
Lt. M. E. Sallee
Lt. Donald D. Willcox
Charles W. Schuler, Covington, Kentucky
Robert H. Rowell
Glen S. Remington, Santa Monica, California

Second Row, Left to Right

Arthur P. Poenisch, Berkeley, California
Gayle Olson, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Bernard J. Migliaro, Waterbury, Connecticut
Stanley Schermer, East St. Louis, Illinois/Madison, Illinois
Ralph I. Norquest,Fredonia, Kansas
Eugene I Stokke, Ft. Atkinson, Wisconsin
Mart W. Seckman, Chicago Illinois
Paul E. Sims, Green Castle, Indiana
C. Frank Neef, Independence, Missouri

Third Row, Left to Right
Kenneth W. Theil, Washington, DC 
W. L. Ratican, St. Louis, Missouri
Robert C. Power, Winterset, Iowa
Charles V. Wert, Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Richard Scherzinger, Portland, Oregon
Joseph A. Wojcik, Chicago, Illinois
Don E. Ready, Hayes Center, Nebraska

Not in Picture


Pitsker
Ryan
Panning
Former Members
Bill Starr
Harry Weston
Harry N?ehr
Shimkey
Shartzkoff
Spitz
Wisler
Spalding
Smith
Weisgerber
Sharp
Taylor
Reese
Pessen
Saal
Wymer
Zingheim
Young
Slater
Shackford
Mauer
Pussilano
Ronen
Mole
Shields
Shreves
Pappas
Ristuccio




4 comments:

  1. My dad, Richard Scherzinger, is in the class photo. He, too, talks of the exam and his experiences at Yale and remember it all quite fondly. At 93, he is doing reasonably well and thanks you for sharing the story and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann - thank you for your comment - I'm glad somebody found the photo. If you would like a better image let me know at the email in my about section. It's nice to know your dad has good memories of that time...Nanci

      Delete
  2. I believe my great Uncle Lawrence J. Bilon was in attendance some time between Aug 1943 through Jan 1944. He died in a plane crash June 5, 1944 in India. Any information will we appreciated, phil7272aol.com
    Thanks,
    Phil Flor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe my great Uncle Lawrence J. Bilon was in attendance some time between Aug 1943 through Jan 1944. He died in a plane crash June 5, 1944 in India. Any information will we appreciated, phil7272aol.com
    Thanks,
    Phil Flor

    ReplyDelete