Friday, January 9, 2015

Family on the Move – Part One



 The next two posts are for my sibs - if you have different memories or better photos, please send them to me...

My dad, Glen S. Remington, moved frequently when he was growing up and that pattern continued as an adult, even after marrying Frances Fortman and starting a family.  He took jobs with North American Aviation then Douglas Aircraft Company that kept him changing locations as the aeronautics industry evolved.
 
In 1955, with three small children tow, they were off to Pennsylvania.  This time we were leaving the palm trees and heading for snow.



The first of three stops in the state was at 1908 Beech Street, Pittsburgh, where we stayed for 6 months from November to May 1956 and where I had my third birthday. 



Then we were off to 25 Bluebird Drive [now 11091] in Irwin, Pennsylvania.  This is where we lived when my brother, Michael, was born.  It is the first house that I remember living in so it is hard to believe we only lived there 18 months.

 

In November of 1957, we moved on to 4011 East Chester Drive in Chester, Pennsylvania. My parents had joined the First Presbyterian Church shortly after arriving in Pennsylvania.  My main memory of living in Chester is of my dad working to help build a new Presbyterian Church there.  Evidently a fire had destroyed the old building and a new one was being built a few blocks from our house.  Both my sister and I remember the trail and bridge that Dad built to connect our neighborhood to the church.





This is also where we lived when I started school.  Two years later, in the fall of 1959, we headed back west, but only as far as Kansas.  Dad must have gone ahead to find a place to live, because I know we spent a few months at my grandparent’s farm near Continental, Ohio on the way.

House is gone (would have been to the left), but the barn is still there



1 comment:

  1. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. movers west hollywood

    ReplyDelete